Friday, January 11, 2008

Savannah's tears...

It is late and I am tired, but my heart just hurts. Today, we went to Savannah's girl scout meeting. I went just like it was any other day. Sure, I was happy to see my mom friends. It was on my mind that this would be my last Thursday of sitting with them chatting. I found myself thinking about it in the car on the way there. Savannah started scouts with these girls when she was just 3 going on 4 years old. In the beginning, I would stay, but there was not a lot of time to chat with Susie and Cindy. The girls were younger then and needed more direction. Time went on and we moved the meeting closer to home. We went from twice a month to every week. Since Sebastian has been with here, I have left him home with my mom or sister. I sorta viewed this as my "me time". I loved sitting and talking away a couple hours. I felt the ache in my heart knowing this was my last time to do this. I still walked into the meeting without seeing what was going to happen. I guess because my mind was full with so many things. Boxes, packing, cleaning, etc. The list seems endless. We noisy moms always get kicked out to the couch room once the official girl scout meeting starts. We talk too much. We grabbed our stuff and went to talk. Not too long into the meeting, Susie came to get me. Savannah was crying. Oh my heart just dropped! I went to her and she was just so sad. They had been discussing cookie sales and what they could do with the money they earned. There was talk of Sea World or a sleepover at the zoo. Things that she would miss. Why didn't I see that this was going to happen? How could I miss the pain that she was going to face? It was all I could do to hold back my tears. My poor baby girl. She had been with these girls for the last 5.5 years. Oh, why do things have to be so hard sometimes? I promised her that we could take a girls trip to meet them at Sea World or the zoo. After all, I am quite the pro at driving back and forth from SC to FL. We would just make it an adventure. That helped some, but soon the tears came even more. She managed to tell me that she as just going to miss them so much. I know there is nothing I can do to change the fact that she will no longer be at these meetings. I know that she will survive. I know all of these things, but it doesn't help the awful feeling that I have hurting my little girl's heart. I just so wish I could fix it. On our way home, I told her about my friend, Jorgena. She knows I have two best friends from childhood. First was Patty. I met her when I was two. She was always, always there. Then I met Jorgena (Jorge) when I was 12. She was and is my very best friend. We have lived apart for 17 years, but we still see each other when we can and talk often. I told her that when I was 9 years old like her, I couldn't have imagined that I would ever meet another person that would be my best friend like Patty was. I had a best friend and her name was Patty and that was that. At 9 years old, I would have said that was the end of the story. As God would have it, I was supposed to meet Jorge when I was 12 years old. My life was changed in such a wonderful way when we became friends. I told her that maybe God had a special plan for her to meet a wonderful friend. Or maybe that wonderful friend is her cousin, Karis. Then I think about how my next best friend to come into my life was Debi - Karis' mom. I met her when I was 16 and again my life was forever changed. I would like for nothing better than for Karis and Savannah to be as close as Debi and I were. I know that Debi is looking down from heaven and happy they will be together. So... tonight my heart is aching. I wish there were something I could do to shield my girl from what has to come. I guess I will have to leave it to God and pray that He has special plans for her friendships just as He did for me.

No comments: