Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Scissors and such...

Okay, I haven't lost my mind and just posting random things about scissors. Well, not yet anyway... give it some time. Last night I was cutting out strips of fabric for Karis and Savannah's project. I, of course, left it till the last minute and was cutting them at 11:30pm. As I was sitting there in the quiet living room, I happened to notice the scissors I was using. These scissors - the ones in the picture were my sewing scissors from 6th grade. I remember showing up for Mrs. Niles home-ec class. We had to put together a small sewing kit. My mom took me to the fabric store and I was amazed. I loved it! I never did become a pro at sewing though. The scissors weren't expensive or anything amazing. Just plain scissors. I can't believe I still have them. I lose things I just bought last week. Somehow over all of the years, they just keep tagging along with me. As I was sitting there cutting with them, I couldn't help but laugh that I didn't really have a clue. I had no idea that 25 years later, I would be cutting strips of fabric to show Savannah and Karis how to make a braided rug. Funny how time goes. I knew I loved my class that I was in. I loved learning how to make a pillow and how to cook monkey bread. I remember Mrs. Niles talking about how she had two little boys - Dan and Ron. Their initials spelled out their names. Crazy - the things we remember. When she talked about her boys, her eyes lit up. She probably was a great mom. She sure had a lot of patience teach 6th graders how to sew.


The girls are working on an American Girl history study with me. I will try to post more details about that in another post. Their first project is a braided rug. They are going to make it bigger than the original small one that is in the book. I will post the finished product then. I had so much fun sharing this with them today. I think we are going to have a great year of learning and enjoying this study.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I miss something or did Savannah just get glasses? I don't remember seeing them on her when we were there.

Kari C in SC said...

Both, she and Timmy got glasses in January. They are both just a tiny bit far sighted. They only need their glasses for reading or up close stuff. Actually, the military told Timmy his eyes were fine though. Go figure! Savannah only wears hers to read or sew.