Saturday, February 03, 2007

Max and Ruby... Ruby and Max


Have you seen Max and Ruby or as the song goes - Ruby and Max? It is a show on Noggin or Nick Jr. It is about a big sister bunny and a little brother bunny. My kids started watching it about a year ago, I guess. I was laying in bed last night thinking about - you guessed it - Ruby and Max. Why? I guess because it is easy to think about. Not stressful or hard to think about. I was wondering how old Ruby and Max were supposed to be. They remind me of Savannah and Sebastian. I was teasing Savannah last week because they don't seem to have any parents just like the Charlie Brown gang. Today on our way to the soccer game, I told Tim about how I was thinking about Max and Ruby last night. Yes, I do seem to tell Tim about every single thing that pops into my head. I really do talk A LOT! He didn't know who Max and Ruby were. That got me to thinking that lots of people probably don't know who they are. I also have to admit that this past week I had to stop and ponder my new official "stay-at-home-mom" status. You see there was this morning last week when Sebastian and I were watching Max and Ruby. Savannah was busy doing something that I can't remember at the moment. In this particular episode Ruby wanted to take a bus to her friend's. The bus stops outside their house, but they need to be waiting for it. Max (in his stubborn toddler way) does NOT want to quit playing with his toys to go. They miss the bus and Ruby comes in to look at the schedule on the fridge to see when the next bus is coming. She finds it will come in exactly one minute. She packs up Max's toys to take with and tries to get him to take the bus. He won't go. He just as quickly gets other toys out and they miss the bus. It all repeats again. Savannah comes in to get me to do something for her (again, I don't know what now). I actually told her that I HAD to see if Max and Ruby got on the bus! Me - a 34 year old mom - had to see if a cartoon got on a bus! This makes me wonder a bit about myself! Sebastian was quite sure he wanted to know if they got on the bus too. Of course he is 2 and the show is aimed for him! I don't want to leave you hanging - they did NOT get on the bus, but their friend arrived on the last bus because she was tired of waiting for them. You know I am certain that there is no place I would rather be that sitting on the floor with Sebastian watching Max and Ruby, but I do have to wonder if my mind is going to mush! And since I was pondering the question of just how old Max and Ruby are, I went to the Nick Jr website and found out. Here are the answers directly from the creator.



  • Q: Would you describe for us the relationship between Max and Ruby? How does it work?A: Ruby is seven and Max is three. Their relationship is based on my two kids when they were seven and three. Even though they love each other, Max and Ruby have very different ideas about everything. Max is mischievous and disorganized. Ruby is bossy, determined, and very organized. In each story Max wants one thing and Ruby wants something entirely different. As in most other classic stories, we don't see Max and Ruby's parents, because I believe that kids resolve their issues and conflicts differently when they are on their own. The television series gives kids a sense about how these two siblings resolve their conflicts in a humorous and entertaining way.

That explains why Ruby (a year younger than Savannah) and Max (a year older than Sebastian) remind me of my kids. Savannah - could she be "bossy, determined, and very organized"? Quite a bit of the time! Sebastian - could he be "mischievous and disorganized"? Absolutely! What about Savannah wanting one thing and Sebastian wanting another thing? Yep, perfect description! I guess that is why I find the humor in the show! (Or my brain has just turned to mush!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love Max & Ruby at our house! We even read some of the books, long before they were a TV show -- or maybe it just long before I was a SAHM and we could watch Nick Jr.

Yes, I remember that episode. I love the ones where Ruby has her bunny scout meetings.

- Bev from WinterPromiseFamilies

The Amazing Trips said...

We haven't yet dialed in to Max & Ruby, although I don't know if we should add *another* show that would get ME hooked!! :)

Good luck with your move, SC is a beautiful place. It is a bit stressful doing something new, but it sounds like your decision - that is already set in motion - is a good one. With these big life changes, it takes complete faith that everything will work out. (And if not ... you do something different. Yikes. That's the really nervewracking thing!!!)

Sebastian is adorable - he most definitely doesn't look like a girl!!!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know I enjoy reading your blog. I am currently adding blogs to my blog site… http://heavenlyramblings.wordpress.com and I would like your permission to add yours. I find great insite into everyday living and it gives me great support and often an uplifting challange for my own life. Keep up the good work and blessings to you and yours.

Jeannie Davis

Kari C in SC said...

Hi Jeannie! I would be honored to be added to your blog. One of these days, I am going to get a blog list on my site. I just haven't gotten to that one yet! Anyway, I will post on your blog as well! Thanks for visiting!