Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy New Year!

I have pondered what I should write in a Happy New Year post. I am not really one to make resolutions. I guess I have tried in the past, but normally I fail at them. I *think* I have only managed to keep one New Year's Resolution in my entire life. C'mon, you know you are asking - "Kari, what resolution did you actually keep?" Okay, if you aren't asking - then skip ahead and don't read the next part! The ONLY resolution I have ever kept was my 2005 New Year's Resolution. It wasn't earth shattering and had nothing to do with losing weight. I decided I wanted to scrapbook 300 pages that year. Why? Three reasons - the first is my reason for getting into scrapbooking in the first place - I want to pass something on to my kids. My second reason is sorta similar to the first - I have like thousands of pictures to get into scrapbooks. The third reason is probably what really drove me to get those 300 pages done in 2005. My sister-in-law, Debi, that I talk about all the time - got me into scrapbooking. She had done I don't even know how many books in her lifetime. When she died, I went to her home. I sat at her kitchen table and I looked through her books. I saw her handwriting and I saw her kids growing up through her eyes. It was so comforting to me. But that was at the end of 2003, why did it take until the end of 2004 for me to make my decision to plow into scrapbooking? A year after she died, we went back to her house. This time I was sitting in her basement nursing Sebastian. Her books line the parameter of the basement. I grabbed one, placed Sebastian in my lap, covered him up and began to look through the books. I, once again, felt so at peace being able to feel her through her books. When I came home, I kept thinking about it. It was on my mind so much. I told Tim I wanted a folding table to set up my scrapbooking stuff as my Christmas present. There began my only New Year's Resolution to be kept. I wish I could say that I scrapped another 300 pages this past year. It didn't happen. I am not foolish enough to believe that with finishing this house, trying to sell it and moving, that I will manage to scrapbook 300 pages in 2007. So, I guess I don't have a resolution this year. I intend to keep working with my Sparkpeople program to take off the rest of this weight, but that isn't really a New Year's thing. I think, for this year, I will resolution - less and just take each day as it comes. What about you? Do you have any big plans for the year ahead?

No comments: