Wednesday, June 07, 2006

My Life Monday... so it is Wednesday... adjust...


I looked to see if she had posted a question for Monday, but I didn't see a new post. Well, I ACTUALLY read the rest of her last post and saw that she had put a topic for "next week". This is one of my faults... reading ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM of something. I tend to skip and skim and never read everything. This has gotten me in some interesting messes! Anyway, so it is Wednesday and here is my post. Maybe next week I will actually get it on Monday. No promises.
Take a picture of something (not somebody) that represents part of who you are. Share that object and tell why it is significant to you.

What the heck is it? You mean you don't KNOW what that is? Okay, I don't know the official name for it, but I call it "The Smasher". Why is this significant to me? This little item used to belong to my Great-Grandpa - my mom's grandpa. He was a baker. He owned Burkel's Bakery.
He used to this little smasher to "smash" meat through the grinder. They made other things besides baked goods, obviously. When my mom was a kid, her mom used this to grind meat as well. When I was a kid, I remember my mom using it to smash walnuts, etc. Fast Forward to sometime in the 90's. We had moved to FL and we had pretty sorry windows. My mom put this thing in the window to hold up the window. I bought this house from my mom about 7 years ago. Along with the purchase, we retained certain things... the grill, patio furniture, washer and dryer... oh and THE SMASHER! I have had the house for 7 years and until this past winter, have had this sitting on my window ledge for the times when I needed to prop the window open. My WONDERFUL husband put new windows in this past December. I LOVE my new windows! They are pretty and they actually open and close - such a bonus! I took the smasher down off the window ledge. I put it away in the cabinet. I still use it to "smash" the big bag of frozen shredded mozzarella cheese or to "smash" graham crackers for a homemade crust or for ice, etc. You get the idea. It still gets used more than 80 years later. Recently, I was making chicken parmesan and I was needing to smash the frozen cheese. I was on the phone with Tim and all of a sudden I couldn't hold the conversation. I couldn't find the SMASHER! It was not in the cabinet. It was not on the window. I was in a small panic! Did it get tossed out during one of our gatherings? My mom would be so sad to hear it was gone! Tim was like, ummm... where did my wife go? I was talking to you and now you are in your own world. I started to tell him I couldn't find the smasher! He assured me it was somewhere. Alas, there it was on the wrong counter in the wrong place. I smashed my cheese and made my family dinner. I wonder which one of my kids will inherit the smasher. Maybe we will have to create a "pass the smasher" ceremony...

No comments: