Monday, June 26, 2006

My Life Monday


This weeks topic was just to pick our own topic. Normally, I would ponder a topic over and over again and really think about what it should be. As luck would have it, Savannah had a friend spend the night last week. This gave me my topic idea. I was going through my normal evening routine and I was singing. Yes, I said singing. No song in particular, just nonsense singing. Savannah's friend said I was "scaring her" in a non-scary way. That got me to thinking that most people probably don't know I sing a lot! I do NOT have a good singing voice by any means. I would even go as far as saying I have a really AWFUL singing voice. That doesn't stop me from singing in my house or my car. I don't much care for singing in public places like church or Happy Birthday at work. I tend to just mouth the words in those places. So, when did this start? Truthfully, I think my knack for singing comes from my mom. My earliest memory of her is being about 3 years old. We were camping and they would have a band on Saturday night. I remember her dancing with me on her hip and singing -

I'd like to hear some funky dixieland
Pretty mama come and take me by the hand
By the hand, take me by the hand pretty mama
Come and dance with your daddy all night long
I want to honky tonk, honky tonk, honky tonk
With you all night long
I also remember her cooking with me on her hip and singing -

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away
I guess that is where I got my singing from. Why I make up nonsense songs, I really don't know. I don't really remember my mom ever doing that. My nonsense songs go back to when I was little and I sang a song about feeding your dog that went something like this -

If you have a dog, you need to feed him - feed him - feed him...
I think they actually taped that song on an old tape recorder! When I had Timmy, I started singing a song when I washed his hair. It goes to the tune of Row, Row, Row Your Boat -
Rub, Rub, Rub A Dub
Gently Down the Stream
Merrily, Merrily, Merrily
Life is but a Dream
I have no idea why I started singing that, but I am still singing it over 17 years later when I wash Sebastian's hair now. Our other tried and true tradition song is for bedtime, 17 years, 3 kids and still going strong...
Nigh, Nigh Sebastian
Nigh, Nigh Sebastian
Nigh, Nigh Sebastian
It's Time to Go Nigh, Nigh!
Insert Savannah and Timmy and you have a classic!
Now, those two songs have a little rhyme or reason - bathtime - bedtime... I don't need a real reason to sing though. I can make up a song about pouring cereal into a bowl or washing a pan. You get the idea! My final confession of singing is that I have tortured my children from time to time by waking them up singing rather loudly the following tune -
Rise and Shine and Give God Your Glory, Glory
Rise and Shine and Give God Your Glory, Glory
RISE AND SHINE AND GIVE GOD YOUR GLORY, GLORY
Children of the Lord
Timmy gets up for work long before I roll out of bed these days and Sebastian wakes Savannah up, so I have not had the chance to sing to them for quite awhile. But, when the day comes back that Savannah and Sebastian sleep in... you can bet on it... I will begin my Rise and Shine serenade again!

No comments: